How to Uninstall virtualbox on mac – VirtualBox is a free and open-source virtualization software that allows users to run multiple operating systems on a single physical host. It enables users to run different operating systems, such as Windows, Linux, and macOS, on their existing computer without the need for multiple hardware devices. The purpose of VirtualBox is to provide a way for developers, testers, and users to run multiple operating systems on a single machine for testing, development, and other purposes.
Uninstall VirtualBox on Mac
Step-by-step instructions on how to delete VirtualBox on a Mac
- Close VirtualBox if it is currently running.
- Open Finder and navigate to the Applications folder. Locate the VirtualBox app and drag it to the trash.
- Empty the trash to completely remove the VirtualBox application.
- Open the Terminal by searching for it in Spotlight or by going to Applications > Utilities > Terminal.
- In the terminal, type the following command and press enter: sudo /Library/Application\ Support/VirtualBox/Uninstall.tool
- Enter your admin password when prompted. The command will uninstall VirtualBox and all its components.
- Type “yes” when prompted to completely remove all files, or “no” to keep the files.
- Close the terminal.
- Before uninstalling, it’s important to make sure that all virtual machines and their settings are backed up. This will prevent any loss of data or configurations.
- Be careful when following the terminal command, as it will remove all files and settings associated with VirtualBox.
- Make sure that you do not have any important virtual machines or settings that you wish to keep before proceeding with the uninstallation.
- Uninstalling VirtualBox through terminal will remove all the files and settings, so make sure to back up anything important before proceeding.
Removing VirtualBox files and settings
After uninstalling VirtualBox using the steps above, all of the main files and settings associated with the software should be removed. However, it’s possible that some residual files may still remain on the system. To remove any remaining files or settings associated with VirtualBox, you can manually search and delete them.
- Open Finder and press Command+Shift+G to access the “Go to Folder” feature.
- Type the following paths one by one and press enter to access the folder:
- Search for any remaining files or folders with “VirtualBox” in the name, and move them to trash.
- Empty the trash to completely remove the remaining files.
- Make sure to check the directories before moving files to trash, as it could be a system file.
- Be careful when searching for and deleting files manually, as deleting the wrong files can cause issues with your system.
- Make sure that you do not have any important files before proceeding with the deletion.
It’s important to note that even after following these steps, there might be some registry or kernel extension left in the system, which can be removed by using third party apps specifically designed for cleaning up mac.
Conclusion Uninstall VirtualBox on Mac
In conclusion, uninstalling VirtualBox on a Mac involves a few simple steps. First, close the VirtualBox application and then move it to the trash. Next, use the Terminal to uninstall the software and its components. Finally, remove any remaining files or settings associated with VirtualBox by searching for and deleting them manually.
It’s important to follow these steps carefully to avoid any issues. Before uninstalling, make sure to back up any important virtual machines or settings that you wish to keep. Additionally, be careful when using the Terminal and manually searching for and deleting files, as deleting the wrong files can cause issues with your system.
By following these steps, you can successfully uninstall VirtualBox from your Mac and free up space on your hard drive.